Mouth ulcers, which are painful and cause eating discomfort often pop anytime. Although the exact causes of mouth ulcers—known also as canker sores are not determined, stress and illnesses are believed to be the leading risk factors. Accidents to the mouth, such as incidental bite to the tongue and mouth lining and streaking the mouth with toothbrushes are also a couple of leading causes for mouth ulcers. Despite the severe pain and complication mouth ulcers might cause, this health problem can always be self-cared at home.
Home remedies for mouth ulcers
Mouth ulcers are very painful and located in some hidden spots on the mouth lining. Hence, it is not always easy to dab medications to the injured site. Fortunately, there are some home remedies which can be effective in healing mouth ulcers or canker sores.
Saline solution is an effective anti-bacterial solution, which helps disinfect the mouth—and the mouth ulcers. Hence, rinsing the mouth with this saline solution will keep the infected area clean and prevent it from getting aggravated. To use saline solution with your mouth ulcers:
- Dilute a teaspoon of salt into a glass of warm water. You can add a pinch of baking soda to the solution and stir well.
- Use the solution to rinse your mouth by holding it in your mouth for some seconds, swishing it to all the mouth areas, giving a pressure on the injured mouth lining.
- Do not swallow the solution. Instead, spit it into the sink.
- You can repeat the treatment every time after big meals. This will clean any left foods and keep the mouth disinfected.
- To prevent the mouth lining with ulcers from drying out, dab a thin layer of raw honey onto it after rinsing it with saline solution.
- If you prefer using baking soda for making the solution, mix a pinch of baking soda with a glass of warm water and use it for rinsing the mouth. This solution will be effective for ulcers caused by acidic foods, as baking soda is going to neutralize it.
Peroxide contains an anti-inflammatory property, which similar to saline solution, help disinfecting the mouth lining. To use this:
- Mix two teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a small cup or warm water.
- Soak a cotton swab into the solution and dab it gently onto the mouth ulcer. Use only sufficient peroxide which will not force you to swallow the rest, since peroxide should not be swallowed.
- After big meals, do this by holding the soaked cotton swab to the sore for few seconds.
- You can also mix the peroxide into saline solution which will work better in curing mouth ulcers.
Lime or lemon has an antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties, which are good for mouth ulcers. To help curing mouth ulcers using this:
- Slice the lime or lemon into slices.
- Squeeze it, making sure the drops are applied to the sore. This is going to sting extremely hard, but the sore is going to numb, which speeds up healing process.
- Dab honey onto the sore to calm it.
Ice cubes can be helpful in minimizing resulted pain from mouth ulcers or canker sores. This will also help the ulcer to get numb and relieve the burning and stinging sensation. To use this remedy:
- Apply the ice cubes directly on the ulcer for few seconds. Do not hold it too long as it may cause burns and headache.
- If ice cubes are too cold for you, replace it with cold water for rinsing the mouth. This will calm the painful sore for a while. Repeat applying the remedy several times with 10-minute intervals.
Avoid acidic foods
Acidic foods, fruits, and vegetables, such as strawberries or tomatoes might trigger the mouth ulcers to worsen. Hence, it is a part of an effective remedy not to consume these kinds of foods during the healing process. Brushing the teeth with soft toothbrush is also helpful in preventing mouth ulcers from getting scratched accidentally. Herbal toothpaste is also effective in helping curing the ulcer.