Keloid is an abnormal response to injury healing process. It varies in size, from the tiny, dot-like keloid to the one in similar size with grapes. Keloids often occur after opened wound is healed by body natural collagen. If you are a keloid-susceptible individual, any kinds of injuries give you the risk of developing keloids. Different persons have different reactions toward healed wound. Some people would only have light scars, while some other may develop unwanted keloids. If you are dark-skinned and have keloid history throughout the family, your body is more likely to develop keloids after injury healing process done. Keloids happen because your body—it can be anyone body, not only the dark-skinned—keeps producing natural collagen even after your wound is healed. As the result, the tissues beneath your wound is tied with fibroses and thus elevated. This elevated area of the wound is what referred as keloids. They are mostly painless, yet some are itchy and stingy.
Can keloids be removed?
Keloids are disturbing, not merely your health, but more likely your appearance. As it can occur on exposed skin, people are trying to find various ways to remove keloids from their body. You might have heard about some kinds of expensive methods of removing keloids, such as excision and radioactive therapies. These methods are reported effective to remove keloids from your body, although not permanently. However, they have to be done repeatedly, regularly, and unquestionably, cost a fortune. As keloids are annoying and to make it worse, not removable permanently, people seek for possible cheaper ways of treating them. This way, such home remedies are used, although with unassured safety. Some people apply aloe Vera to shoot keloids tissues, which is believed to flatten them eventually. Some others, on the other hand, choose the more extreme home remedy. They attempt to remove keloids using a rubber band.
How is keloid removed with a rubber band technique?
Some people have tried removing their keloids with a rubber band. This techniques is done at home, without any expert assistance. Ear keloids are the most common trials for a rubber-band removal technique. Below are the steps that people done to help you imagine how it is done:
- Wrapping keloids with a small rubber band. Keloids are wrapped tightly in rubber band loops and left overnight. In the morning, they would have turned purple or blue black in color.
- Replacing the overnight-band with the new, firmer one. Keloids are wrapped tighter with more loops than the first step. If keloids are looped three times in the first step, they will be looped four times now. This step is unimaginably painful. Keloids are left for around three hours to harden them.
- Keloids are looped in a rubber band for several days until they detach themselves from the skin.
Is a rubber-band keloid removal technique safe?
A rubber band keloid removal technique might work to remove your keloid. However, it is not a safe, healthy treatment. The use of unsterilized thing like a rubber band to remove your keloid develops the risk of infection. The idea of stopping blood flow to keloids forcefully with a rubber band, can instead cause bleeding. As the result, both internal and external infection might happen. You may suffer from severe fever as a result of internal infection, and find your keloid even bigger, bruised, and bleeding as for the external infection. Keloids removed with a rubber band tend to reoccur and cause bleeding during the process. Should you cannot afford expensive treatments to remove keloids, you can do topical home remedies. These kinds of remedy are much safer, although the effects can’t be instantly felt. Instead of looping your keloids in a rubber band, you might want to try:
- Apply apple cider vinegar to your keloids to stops inflammation and reduce the size. Dissolve vinegar in warm water and gently massage over your keloids several times during the day. Do it regularly to see the effect in about five weeks.
- Extract fresh lemon juice and apply it on keloids. Lemon juice is enriched with vitamin C and contain natural healing agent that will be useful in treating your keloids.