Pregnancy is an interesting phase of women’s life. However, this phase does not only include excitement and joy in expecting the upcoming bundle of joy, but is also fulfilled by some issues. One of the common issue most moms-to-be might be concerned about is the occurrence of stretch marks during pregnancy. In fact, stretch marks is indeed a common phenomenon in pregnancy. This occurs because during pregnancy, abdomen muscles expand to support expanding skin for supporting the baby. Some skin tissues then tear because they are unable to balance the rapid skin expansion. The tearing tissues will result in streaking lines called stretch marks. In pregnant mothers, stretch marks mostly occur on the abdomen skin in middle or later phase of pregnancy.
Can these stretch marks be removed?
Normally, stretch marks someone got from pregnancy might not be permanent, as long as it is treated as early as possible. Pinkish stretch marks, which indicates an early phase of stretch marks development respond to treatments the best. Some home remedies or topical creams might be useful in treating pinkish stretch marks. However, when these stretch marks turn into silvery white color, it will be more difficult to get rid of them.
Can these stretch marks be prevented?
Preventing stretch marks which can possibly grow during pregnancy might be complicated, as those marks occurrence might be arbitrary and unnoticed. Besides, pregnancy is strongly related to rapid weight gain. Someone might gain more than 30 pounds during 9 months of pregnancy, which is excessive. During this weight gain, the abdomen skin keeps expanding and thus, can possibly cause the beneath tissues to tear and result in stretch marks. Despite its arbitrary occurrence, stretch marks during pregnancy can be minimized. It may not be possible to avoid this issue completely, since everyone might possess different susceptibility to stretch marks. When a pregnant woman is susceptible to this skin disorder, she might still develop some streaking lines on her abdomen when pregnant, although she has done various things to prevent it from coming. However, these home remedies can be considered to increase your chance of having less stretch marks during pregnancy, or to minimize the appearance of existing pregnancy stretch marks.
Pregnancy stretch marks prevention home remedies
The main ideas of preventing stretch marks during pregnancy is keeping skin health. Some home remedies might help you maintaining your skin health, so that the occurrence of stretch marks during pregnancy can be minimized.
- Consume healthy diets. Focus on diets which nourish your skin and skin cells. Some foods can trigger collagen production and thus, maintain skin elasticity. Sufficient collagen production also keeps skin glow, which will make existing stretch marks less visible. Soy products, red fruits, green beans, olives, and lemons are some of the foods which are loaded with antioxidants to keep your skin healthy.
- Do regular daily brushing and scrubbing. Dry brushing and scrubbing are the activities you can do during pregnancy to maintain good blood flow. Healthy blood flow will boost new skin cell production and thus, keep the skin elasticity to support skin expansion to support baby growth.
- Although being pregnant, you can still perform low-impact exercises, such as walking or jogging. This will keep the skin firm, which lessen the possibility of having stretch marks. Firmer skin also makes the existing stretch marks less visible.
- Apply natural oils. During pregnancy, you have to be cautious about the side effects some creams might do to your baby’s health. Therefore, applying more natural oils might be a better choice, since these oils might cause less side effects than those manufactured creams. Coconut oil or almond oil is beneficial for stretch marks removal and prevention during pregnancy. Apply one spoonful of either one onto the affected areas, or the areas you think might be susceptible to stretch marks. Do a circular massage when applying the oil to boost quick absorption.
- Apply sunscreen when you are out. Ultraviolet might trigger stretch marks formation. Therefore, wear sun block or sunscreen whenever you are going out to prevent the skin cells from damage. Healthy skin cells promote good skin elasticity which helps preventing stretch marks from occurring.