Ear bleeding has many causes. It may simply caused by foreign objects in the ear to the point of it is caused by a serious injury or disease. The way you stop the blood depends on what cause of ear bleeding you have.
Here are the first aid treatments you have to do if your ear is bleeding is caused by outer injury:
- Use a steril gauze or pad to cover up the injury and hold it and give it a bit pressure
- Compress your injury ear with a cool compress. You can use ice, but do not directly make the ice touch your injury, use a clean towel to cover the ice.
- To avoid any infection, seek for medical help.
Here are the first aid treatments you have to do if your ear is bleeding inside :
- You have to place a steril gauze or pad on the top of ear in order to collect the blood.
You should not :
Put the gauze or pad inside the bleeding ear, since you do not know which part is bleeding, and which part if got touch will worsen the bleeding is. in short, do not put anything inside the ear canal.
- Lay yourself (if there is nobody to help you) to the position the bleeding ear is on the ground. It helps the blood to drain out.
You should not :
Lay with the position of your bleeding ear is on the top. The un-drained blood will worsen your ear and worsen the problem.
- Seek for the medical help immediately, you can go to the hospital or call the ambulance.
You should not :
Treat it by yourself and do some experiments by using many kind of treatments that have not been recommended by the experts.
It is because you yourself do not know exactly what is the problem has happened inside your ear and you have to see the professional to know it.
But how if the ear bleeding is caused by the other more serious problem?
You have to immediately seek for medical help, especially from ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) unit .
Sometime your ear bleeding is not as simply as you may see. It may caused by :
Your ear bleeding can be caused by trauma that occurs after you put hard or sharp foreign objects to your ear such as hair clip, a cotton swab, matchstick, pencil or pens.. Your ear may get trauma if this kind of object touch and hurt the ear canal.
- Tear in eardrum
This is the most common cause. It can be caused by loud sound, infection, even the air pressure changes suddenly.
- Otic polyp
This polyp is not a common cause, but it can be.
- There are many causes of the ear bleeding and the more serious the cause is, more little the possibility for you to heal or stop the blood from coming out by yourselves.
One example is if the ear bleeding caused by Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIY). It is a very serious cause of bleeding, the blood is coming out in abnormally amount, for example the blood is coming out in a big amount from your ear even from a minor injury, or even worse is if there is no injury. It may be caused by deep infections and cancer. If it is the case, the blood cannot be stopped by itself. See your doctor is a must.
The Symptoms :
If one or more of the followings happen to you along with the blood, you must immediately seek the professionals help :
- Hearing loss (temporary or rarely)
- Problems with balance
- Your ear is ringing
- Pain in the ear
- Your head feels dizzy
It is important to be noted that:
- Ear bleeding (especially if the blood coming out from the internal part of your ear) is a sign that something is wrong with your ear and even worse, with your health.
- The earlier you seek the professional help, the earlier your doctors can stop the bleeding and give you personal treatment to treat your ear.
- After having a medical help, unless your doctors recommend you to, do not use any products into your ear that had been bleeding.