Scorpions do not actually bite and the word “bite” itself is commonly used to refer to scorpion sting. Scorpions use their sting to defend themselves and capture their prey. Thus, they do not usually bite humans unless provoked, and in fact, there are variety of ways humans might provoke scorpions. Sudden movements, such as wearing your long-ignored shoes, might provoke scorpions unintentionally residing inside the shoes. As a result, your bare foot might get stung.
How do you know you are stung?
Scorpions sting when provoked and hence, most of the time, you can see them physically around your stung body parts after they sting you. Both young and adult scorpions are able to sting you and is usually easy to spot around the place they are residing in while biting you. Knowing you are bitten can also identified by seeing a scorpion trying to get away after stinging a person. Most scorpion bites show some effects on the affected body parts quite immediately. Most home scorpion stings are mild and thus, cause tolerable pain you can take care at home. Some symptoms of mild scorpion bites include:
- Pain, which is commonly mild, but may be intense.
- Swollen skin area around the sting. This swelling is generally accompanied by redness on and around the stung area.
- Temporary numbness and tingling sensation around the sting.
- Burning sensation on the stung site and around it.
- Sensitivity to the touch of the area where scorpion bites.
Home-scorpion bites are generally mild and can be treated at home. They do not necessarily cause life-threatening condition with the bites. People might get panicked due to the intense pain these bites usually cause, yet medical treatments are rarely required for the bites. However, some scorpions living in the forests in certain areas in the United States, such as Arizona is not only venomous, but may also trigger fatal bite effects. Severe symptoms of scorpion bites can be described as below:
- Muscles twitching or spasms.
- Widespread numbness, which does not only affects the area around the sting, but also the nearby areas, and even some other body parts.
- Sudden blurred visions or vision loss, which affects one of or both eyes.
- Unusual eye and neck movements, which are caused by affected nerves around the sting.
- Salivation and drooling, also inability to close the mouth.
- Trembling and seizures, which also cause extreme muscle contractions.
- A thick tongue or numb tongue and lips.
- Difficulty of swallowing, which worsens the salivation.
- Difficulty of breathing that causes shortness of breath or blocked air.
- Accelerated heart rates or irregular heartbeats.
- High blood pressure or low blood pressure that occurs suddenly or a while after the bite.
When to see a doctor
Although commonly scorpions cause minor bite effects, some people are really concerned about this sting, considering that scorpions are venomous and thus, may trigger something they might not be able to see immediately. Regarding this insect bite, you are advised to see a doctor if:
- You are experiencing one or more severe symptoms of scorpion bites. Minor scorpion bites are painful, yet do not cause anything to your internal organs. Hence, any symptoms related to abnormalities of these organs need to be observed immediately by professionals.
- You are bitten while in places such as forests and desserts, where scorpion population is commonly highly venomous and dangerous. You are likely to be fine if bitten by home scorpions, although professional observation can be gained if you think you need to.
- The victim is children. Severe scorpion bites affecting children is commonly signed by restlessness or intense crying as a result of the intense pain and sensation. Scorpion bites in children should get an immediate medical attention and treatment if needed.
- You are bitten while traveling in another country, since you might be stung by peculiar species of scorpions that can be dangerous. Even if you are not experiencing any severe symptoms of the bite, the wound site should be observed immediately if you are bitten in another country. Go to the local hospital to make sure you get well-observed, so that any required treatments can be performed immediately.