Eye redness can be a sign of simple irritation, which is caused by strange debris entering the eye or windy weather changes. Simple irritation can be healed usually within hours or days without having to consult a doctor. However, some people found out that eye redness is not merely the symptom of usual irritation. Instead, this is an initial sign of an eye rosacea.
What is ocular rosacea of the eyes?
Rosacea is skin inflammatory which is signed by the occurrence of acne-like bumps and reddish, flushing face. This usually occurs as a butterfly-like strip over the nose. People with rosacea are often mistaken as alcoholic because of this severe face redness. Although rosacea is commonly located around the nose, it sometimes cause eye problems as a result of this flare up. Ocular rosacea is uncomfortable feeling to the eye which occurs as itching, burning, redness, and severe irritation as the result of rosacea flare up. This is experienced by one out of five persons having facial skin rosacea. Since facial rosacea hardly causes bizarre symptoms, people who are feeling only mild eye discomfort often leave this problem untreated. In fact, ocular rosacea needs to be further observed to avoid any fatal possible risks.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of ocular rosacea might be really similar to usual eye irritation which you might experience during windy day or because your eye accidentally catches strange debris. However, this eye problem caused by facial skin rosacea may cause discomfort and in more severe cases leads to major eye problems. Thus, it is important to notice the main symptoms of this eye problem in order to provide initial treatment which can minimize any discomfort it may cause. Some of the main visible symptoms of rosacea of the eyes include:
- Eye dryness. This dryness happens because rosacea might cause clogged meibomian glands which produces oil. Hence, the eyes might feel dry and give the sensation of burning.
- The occurrence of eye styes. Styes are small ulcers which tend to occur somewhere inside the eye glands. The occurrence of this eye ulcer may cause discomfort to the eye, although is not necessarily dangerous. These styes occur as a result of over-growth blood vessels in the eyes.
- This is a sensation of burning, irritation, and swollen which attacks the eyelids during rosacea flare up. This eyelid problem might occur as one of the symptoms of ocular rosacea.
- Watery or bloodshot eyes. Inflammation or irritation to the surface of the eye causes tear over-secretion. Hence, watery eyes are usually accompanied by the sensation of itching and burning to the whole eyes, including the eyelids and eye corners.
- Redness and swollen eyes. This happens as the result of visible blood vessels in the eye surface.
- Blurry or distracted vision. This is caused by inflated eye tissues which can also press the nerve system.
- Light sensitivity.
- Crusting or dry flakes on eyelids. This is caused by severe eye dryness. As a result, dry flakes are produced.
What are the main risks?
Although rosacea might initially be a mild eye irritation, it can lead to a serious eye problem when left untreated. When severe ocular rosacea continues to be untreated, it might cause damage to the cornea. This will result in decreasing vision. More serious rosacea which attacks the cornea can even lead to blindness, since the nervous system inside the eyes are seriously damaged. Seeing the risk that can be caused by ignored ocular rosacea, a doctor advice about this problem is necessary, although some ocular rosacea is even too mild to notice. Maintaining your eye hygiene also helps combating possible infection of ocular rosacea of the eyes. Treating your facial rosacea properly also help inhibiting it transmission to the other parts of your face, such as eyes and ears. As a matter of fact, ocular rosacea usually responds to a simple medication and can be easily treated when initially diagnosed. Hence, you can get rid of this irritation before it gets worse and spread to another area. Proper concern and caution are needed when you feel discomfort on your eyes which occur randomly.