Gum infection is a quite common problem, especially for those with poor dental hygiene and health. The most common symptoms of this infection are swollen gum, throbbing pain, and gum ulcers. To relieve these symptoms, there are some common medications and treatments people use. Commonly, gum infection can be treated at home, using proper, immediate treatment. This infection will go away faster with this kind of treatment, before the ulcer appears.
Will gum infection go away on its own?
As going to the dentist is a hassle for some people, they prefer to treat any tooth-related problems at home. In fact, various home remedies that come from traditional herbals and some simple treatments are effective for getting rid of the infesting bacteria and thus, minimize the resulted pain. On the other hand, some people prefer to give this gum infection some time to heal itself without any specific treatment. Thus, how possible is it for gum infection to go away on its own?
Gum infections or what-so-called gingivitis range from the mild one to the one requiring immediate medical attention. In severe cases, this infection appears close the root of the tooth, causing tooth-loosening. When you are suffering from gum infection, your gum will be sore and usually swells. Later, if the infection is not well-treated, ulcers filled with pus may appear. However, you can expect a gum infection to go away on its own without any medical treatments or prescribed medications if:
- You do not suffer from weakened immune system. There are some diseases associated with this health problem, such as the HIV or even a severe flu. You should not ignore any health complications, including gum infection if you have problems with your immune system.
- You do not have diabetes. People with diabetes should immediately consult a dentist when suffering from any dental problems, including gum infection. Gum infections are mostly caused by bacteria and thus, may be a big problem if interrupting diabetic people’s blood circulation.
- You start practicing good dental hygiene. Since gum infection is commonly caused by poor mouth hygiene, it is important to improve this hygiene practice. You need to brush the teeth more regularly using soft-bristled toothbrush, in order to prevent plaque buildup beneath the gum edge. You are also advised to rinse the mouth with saline solution or mouthwash to kill any infesting bacteria from food leftovers.
- You stop smoking. Giving up smoking is beneficial for improving your dental health. Smoking excessively will trigger gum infection and thus, put you at risk of developing gum ulcers. If you have noticed swollen and sore gum, immediately give up smoking. This will let your immune system fight the infection properly. As a result, it is possible for you to heal gum infection without any medical practices.
- You do not have any decayed teeth. Severe gum infections are signed by the occurrence of decayed tooth. Hence, you are not advised to ignore any infection that occurs near any decayed teeth, or causes nearby teeth to decay, as the infection may have developed into a dental infection rather than merely a gum infection.
When to get immediate medical attention?
- If you are pregnant.
Although gum infection can be homeopathic, pregnant women are not recommended to ignore this dental problem, as the causal bacteria from the gum can possibly enter the bloodstream, causing some defects to the growing fetus. Thus, if you are expecting, you will need to see a dentist when a suspected gum infection develops.
- If the pain elevates and does not respond to any performed remedies and home medications.
Gum infection should not be serious if treated properly. In many cases, gargling the mouth with warm saline solution is good enough to improve a gum undergoing an infection. However, if you develop elevating pain, high fever, and start to notice tooth loosening, stop the home remedies and see a dentist immediately for further observation.
- If you are diabetic
In diabetic person, any open wounds can be fatal, including sore gum. Thus, if you are diabetic, you are advised to get medical assistance regarding bacterial infestation beneath the gum.