Rosacea is a skin disorder which is mostly experienced by Caucasians of Celtic origin. This can last for quite a while and get worse with time. Women with fair skin, light eyes, and fairly skinny posture are said to be more susceptible to rosacea, although some other factors like genetics are also determining. Rosacea might show mild symptoms initially, which get more visible and permanent eventually. The most common symptom of rosacea is frequent flushing on the face similar to blushing. Most of the time, rosacea appearance can also be signed by severely dry skin and can be accompanied by small blisters. In some people, rosacea can occur in a form of butterfly-like reddish patch which stretches across the cheeks. Different from some other skin disorders, rosacea appearance is not always accompanied by itching. Nearly 70 percent people suffering from rosacea report more severe burning sensation than itching, while the other 30 percent get occasional itchiness with rosacea. This itchiness lasts for various period of time, from hours to days.
Why my rosacea itches?
Although commonly rosacea does not itch and only causes redness on facial skin, some people do experience itchiness during the appearance of rosacea. Normally, rosacea is signed by severely dry skin. Thus, there can be a chance that itchiness comes with these flakes. Mostly with rosacea, itchiness does not come initially. Instead, it may come soon after you are starting medications to heal the affected skin. Therefore, there are some reasons which cause severe itchiness with rosacea that you need to bear day and night.
With some treatment, your skin is promoted to produce new skin cells to replace the dry, dead ones. Medications and other treatments usually promote collagen production to provide new healthy skin cells. Healing process also let the body excrete excessive sebum and oil from your facial skin. Sebum and oils are transferred from the inner layers of the skin onto the dermis. However, with rosacea this sebum can be toxic. Hence, the secretion process might be accompanied by the sensation of itching and sometimes, burning.
Itchiness experienced during rosacea appearance might also be triggered by harsh medications or skin products, because your skin is sensitive and very dry during this infection. Hence, fragrance body wash or facial soap might cause even worse tickling sensation.
How to stop rosacea itching
As rosacea does not always cause itchiness, people sometimes get panic when they experience the one with itching sensation. In fact, this itchiness is a normal biological process done by the body to dump toxins from inside the tissues. Itchiness during the appearance of rosacea can be excruciating. Some people reported that they cannot get enough naps and night sleep because of the tickling sensation from the itch. Some also reported that this itching is accompanied by more blisters and burning. Luckily, this itchiness should not be permanent, and suppose you have experienced this for quite a while, there are some things you can do to ease the pain.
- Although not the direct cause of rosacea, your diet is closely related to how severe rosacea can appear on your skin. Sebum and oils secretion can be painful and causing discomfort on the skin affected by rosacea. Therefore, cutting down oily foods might be helpful. Instead, you might want to eat foods which are enriched with vitamin E and antioxidants, which can be found inside most fruits and vegetables.
- Giving a warm compress onto the affected skin can also be helpful. Not only this will reduce inflammation, but also help moistening the dry skin. Moist skin will eventually decrease the itchiness you are feeling.
- Keeping the room colder is also a good method to ease rosacea itching. Colder room keeps your skin moisture at a sufficient level. This might help reducing the flakes and blisters which cause more severe itchiness.
- Applying an Aloe-based cream is also a good treatment. Aloe Vera has a shooting effect, which can decrease the itchiness. Besides, Aloe Vera is enriched with natural vitamins which can promote faster rosacea healing.
- Rosacea is believed to be genetically-triggered. However, your stress level might worsen the infection, including promoting worse itching and burning sensation. Hence, worse rosacea effects are usually experienced during hectic days. Maintaining your stress level, thus is really important to inhibit worse rosacea effects. Relaxation methods, such as yoga will be able to help you with severe itchiness.
- Avoiding fragranced and harsh soap might be helpful in promoting faster healing and decreasing rosacea itching. You might also want to stop applying cosmetics while having the rosacea flare up. As mild as it can be, cosmetics will still trigger worse patches with rosacea. Apply moisturizer before bedtime can also help inhibiting the itching. Choose one without fragrance to prevent your itching from flaring up.