Many people assume that all species of scorpions possess lethal venom and thus, can cause life-threatening sting effects, while in fact, only 30 out of almost 1,500 scorpion species are pronounced deadly. Scorpions with the most deadly venom are found in Arizona and native to Africa.
Knowing this essential information about scorpion is important, so that you will not be stranded in extreme panic when getting bitten by one, but will be cautious enough when being in some regions you do not know well or are well-known are the home of lethal species of scorpion.
How dangerous are scorpion stings?
Venom scorpions have is used for paralyzing the prey and defense themselves. Most venoms, thus, are not lethal to humans, although they can be lethal to small insects. Some scorpion venoms can cause fatal sting symptoms to humans, although they are not necessarily deadly.
Severe symptoms usually occur as a body reaction to neurotoxins released by scorpions while biting the victim. This neurotoxin triggers abnormalities to the nerve systems and usually lead to visible symptoms, such as convulsions, chills, vision loss, and shortness of breath.
However, these symptoms do not necessarily lead to death, especially in adult humans. Yet, there are a couple of risk factors that may put certain people in higher risk of death after being stung by lethal scorpions, such as age and immune system. This puts children and the elderly in a higher risk of death because of scorpion stings.
In addition to age and immune system, another risk factor that influence the degree of severity a scorpion bite might cause is a person’s body’s reaction to the venom. People that are sensitive to the sting, such as those who cannot tolerate bee stings, may experience worse effects of scorpion stings.
The sting that brings in some venom can trigger allergic reactions to the internal organs and thus, can be extremely deadly when not immediately treated. However, in other people, this sting might merely cause inflammation and restless pain within the first 48 hours, without causing other complications.
Despite the fact that Arizonian scorpions are deadly, antivenin are available and thus, there has not been any fatality resulted from these scorpion stings in over 40 years.
Quite differently, scorpions native to Africa and live in the jungles are considered lethal and thus, should be avoided. You will definitely require medical attention if bitten by one, as the symptoms are commonly deadly and rapidly developing. Do not wait to get some help when you come in contact with these scorpions stings, especially if the children get stung.
How to avoid getting stung by scorpions
To avoid any lethal symptoms of scorpion bites, it is important to avoid any contacts with any scorpion species. The best way to avoid scorpions is by avoiding places where the species commonly reside in. some preventive acts you can do to deal with the potential danger of scorpion stings are:
- Be really careful when camping outside. Make sure you are keeping the belonging meticulously. Always check whether scorpions have made their ways to your sleeping bags, shoes, and clothes by shaking them out carefully before use.
- Avoid piling woods or junks and always wear thick gloves when working with these objects to avoid accidental scorpion stings.
- If you suspect scorpion population in or around the house, call professional exterminator to get rid of them, as they are very hard to kill. However, eliminating their source of foods may help limiting their population growth.
- Be extra careful when cleaning rooms for very young or old members of the house, as their immune system may be weak that severe scorpion bite can be life-threatening.
- If keeping your shoes outside the house or at the storage, be sure to check for scorpions before wearing those. Shake them out carefully, especially if you haven’t worn them for a long time.
- Clean pet’s cage periodically, as they may also be susceptible to scorpion bites. Their cages and outside pet house can be a hiding place for scorpions and hence, need to be checked thoroughly regularly. You might also need to check their population around the garden, especially in large bushes.
Leave a Reply